Friday, September 16, 2005

Thursday continued.....

So on Wednesday after leaving Wyoming I found myself crossing Utah and decided that the road to Winnemucca looked interesting (what did I know - I'd never been to Winnemucca) - I started listening to Peter Mayles "Hotel Pastis" which is every bit as charming as his "A Year in Provence" - from Winnemucca I head north toward Oregon and I find myselof lost in Mayles tale of the burnt-out middle-age advertising exec, who decides to chuck it all in and restore an old building Provance by turning it into a hotel - wonderful writing - lovely images - funny dialogue - I'm sensing a theme now among my travelling companions - In fact I was enjoying the book so much I forgot to leave books along the way as I drove the back roads of Southern Oregon - there are some really interesting geothermal events happening at the wildlife refuge and I loved the caution signs for wild burros - I had orignially planned to drive up through the middle of the state to see the Oregon Bulge (thanks Dave Barry for alerting me to this unusual phenomena but it was getting late and it would mean camping along the way so instead I headed toward Klamath Falls and then up past Crater Lake leaving one book along the way at a rest stop (yikes - I forgot which book I left there) - I got a call from my friend Dennis in Springfield and decided to just drive on since I could make it there before it got too late- perhaps the mysterious volcanic development in Central Oregon can be explored on the way home

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

what a grand adventure you're on, info!! thanks for sharing with us all!!